Find A Review

January 20, 2019

Norwegian Wood (1987) by Haruki Murakami

Norwegian Wood was a book I devoured.

I typically read multiple books concurrently. One in physical form, one on ereader. An audiobook for driving or menial tasks like washing the dishes. A short story collection in the bathroom.

Everything slipped into the background as I continued reading my first Murakami. Dumas' Monte Cristo and Kafka's Metamorphosis faded into a pleasant bokeh as Murakami's mood and characters sapped my whole focus.

I'd pick it up and disappear down his well for a few hours. It felt like drifting off into a nap. So much of this book is built on imparting a feeling; his prose flows even through translation and carries the mood without resorting colorful words. It reminded me of my favorite film, Lost In Translation, not so much in that they're both set in Japan, but that the real experience comes not so much from the plot, but the feel and the discourse between the characters. It's hard to get much more into discussing the plot without ruining its impact, so I'll just make a couple of lists instead.

Things Norwegian Wood is about: Estrangement, loneliness, sex, relationships, isolation, depression. The value of finding somebody who gets you, whether platonic or romantic. Having a flask of whisky or brandy handy when the going gets tough.




Things reading Norwegian Wood feels like: Firing up an electric blanket on a chilly day. A cup of tea steaming in front of a sunny, morning window. Rain and wet leaves and threadbare sweaters. My girlfriend's dorm room in the winter in sophomore year of college. The song Optimistic by Radiohead.

Since finishing it I've read many reviews calling this book sad, depressing, or melancholy. I was surprised to see this, as the book struck me very differently. It's certainly not a happy book, and plenty of sad things happen within its pages, but I didn't find it overly bleak either, and it's almost totally absent of the cynicism at the root of similar efforts. To me, it's hopeful; a rumination on death, its impact, and how it's a necessary part of life. It's about perseverance and dealing with tragedy rather than being about tragedy itself. I found the ending few paragraphs masterful in this respect; they left me with my head buzzing. I finished the book, closed it, and stared off into space for a few minutes while I thought about what I had just read. I decided that, more than anything else, it left me hopeful.

I loved this book. I found its characters human and real and I enjoyed the way it made me feel. Maybe you will, too.



⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

No comments:

Post a Comment