Find A Review

January 17, 2019

Anne of Green Gables (1908) by L.M. Montgomery


As a mid-30-something year-old American man living in a New York City suburb in 2019, I chalk a lot of this Christian-inspired children's book set in rural Canada up to being very much not my thing, yet Anne's character still ended up appealing much to my hidden inner optimist. Lessons abound of accepting the good with the bad, always trying to look at the brighter side of things, and holding onto your childhood imagination. Anne is the spirit of perseverance and this book a reminder that there is always good present, no matter the situation, and that sometimes you just have to look a bit harder to find it.

Montgomery uses pithy, quotable prose, and balances her charming protagonist with the equally likable characters of Matthew and Marilla Cuthbert. The dialogue is excellent as well. Anne of Green Gables is one of the better examples of childrens' literature I've come across, and despite falling far outside my typical sphere of interest, has earned a permanent spot on my bookshelf.


⭐⭐⭐⭐

No comments:

Post a Comment